Many people are amazed to learn how little it costs to sealcoat an asphalt pavement. Part of the reason for their surprise is that asphalt sealing delivers benefits that can save them a substantial amount of money in the long run. Asphalt pavements that receive professional applications of sealant can last more than twice as long as pavements that are never sealed. In addition, the sealed pavements will be more visually appealing and require fewer repairs. However, some people hesitate to schedule their asphalt sealcoating even if they understand the advantages of the procedure. They fear the inconvenience, the disruption to their operation, or the potential alienation of customers. Therefore, they ask asphalt maintenance contractors to seal their pavements at night. Technically, nighttime sealcoating applications can sometimes be performed. However, even though it might be possible, you should avoid it, especially since it is virtually always unnecessary.
Why Is Unnecessary to Schedule Asphalt Sealcoating at Night?
Reno asphalt sealcoating professionals frequently receive queries about nighttime applications. Most local asphalt sealcoating customers that are interested in a nighttime application give one or both of the following reasons.
1. They cannot afford to close their doors long enough for an asphalt sealcoating company to seal their parking lot. This is one of the most common myths about asphalt sealcoating Reno pavements. Although it is true that traffic cannot be allowed on the pavement during or for several hours after an asphalt sealcoat application, this does not mean that you have to shut down your operation. Experienced Reno asphalt sealcoating contractors know several ways to perform an application with the least disruption to your business. For example, they can sealcoat a section at a time, then reopen it before closing the next area. Local asphalt sealcoating contractors often seal pavements on holidays, weekends, or other days when their customers are closed.
2. Some customers think that nighttime sealcoating means that they can avoid closing their parking lot at all. This is an especially common belief among businesses that are not open 24/7. They think they can have their parking lots ready for vehicle traffic at 7 a.m. if the contractor starts work when they close their business at 10 p.m. Unfortunately, that is not going to happen. Sealcoating needs to be exposed to sunlight to cure completely. The minimum exposure time is typically around four hours, but it depends primarily on the temperature at the time the asphalt sealcoat is applied. Since nights are cooler than the days, nighttime Reno sealcoating will need to be exposed to sunlight for a longer time. Therefore, customers are not preventing a pavement closure. They are only deferring it.
Suppose I Still Want a Contractor to Apply Asphalt Sealcoating at Night?
Admittedly, there can be certain situations in which nighttime sealcoating is the only option available to the customer. If the weather and other factors align, an asphalt sealcoating company might be willing to handle a nighttime application. However, you should be prepared for the following.
1. Your asphalt sealcoating in Reno will not achieve its typical longevity. Even if your asphalt sealcoating contractor performs an exceptional application, the life of your sealcoating will likely be reduced by as much as 75%.
2. It is almost universal that sealcoating manufacturers consider nighttime applications as grounds to void their product warranties. This usually relates to the section in the warranty that states their products must be applied as instructed, which includes applying the product on a sunny day.
3. Since manufacturers will not stand behind their warranties if local sealcoating contractors perform a nighttime application, contractors frequently refuse to guarantee their workmanship. Some asphalt sealcoating companies will insist on a signed waiver stating that the customer accepts all responsibility if the results are not satisfactory.
Whether you have a residential or commercial asphalt pavement that is in need of help, contact the experts at Affordable Striping & Sealing. We offer a full range of asphalt maintenance services, including commercial asphalt sealcoating, crack repairs, parking lot layout, residential sealcoating, parking lot striping, and parking lot maintenance plans. We are experienced, well-respected professionals with an exceptional reputation. To request a free quote, call 775-825-1101, email RenoOffice@AffordableStriping.com, or submit our online form.