Residential Asphalt Driveway Sealcoating Nevada
For many Americans, a home is the costliest investment they will ever make. As such, most homeowners are proactive about maintenance to provide or enhance their property’s curb appeal, retain its value, and avoid paying for unnecessary repairs. However, Sierra Maintenance has served clients in the greater Reno area since 1988, and we have noticed that many homeowners are unaware of the importance of residential sealcoating.
What Is Sealcoating?
Asphalt sealcoating is the application of a sealant that adheres to the pavement to create a barrier against potentially damaging forces. Sealcoating mixes contain a concentrated sealant, sand, and water; on certain projects, an additive may also be included in the mix.
Why Is Residential Sealcoating Important?
Residential pavements can be constructed in a variety of sizes and configurations. Most people are familiar with suburban driveways that provide access to the home’s garage and room to park as many as four cars. However, some homes have circular drives that arc through the front lawn, while homes that are set back from the street may connect via a long driveway that is akin to a private road. Regardless of your driveway’s configuration, it is constantly exposed to potential risks. The vehicles that you park on or drive across your pavement can leak oil, gasoline, or other petroleum-based automotive fluids. These fluids can leave soft, crumbly spots that can frequently turn into potholes. The sun is another formidable foe that can leave asphalt pavements dry, brittle, faded, and more likely to crack. Cracks and potholes let water drain into them, percolate through the structure, and erode the foundation. The erosion leaves the foundation too unstable and weak to support the pavement, so additional damage can occur, including alligator cracking and pavement subsidence. Sealcoating is an extremely effective way to help prevent the formation of cracks and potholes, and it can also rejuvenate the pavement’s color.
How Often Does an Asphalt Driveway Need Sealcoating?
We will evaluate your driveway to recommend the correct frequency. Most residential asphalt driveways need sealcoating about every three years, but some can go up to five years before requiring a fresh application. Although you do not want to sealcoat your driveway too infrequently, you do not want to sealcoat it too often as this can create different issues. However, even if the calendar indicates that you are not due for another application, you should not wait to call us if your sealcoating begins to flake, crack, or peel.
How Long Will It Take to Complete a Residential Sealcoating Application?
No two jobs are entirely identical, but we can usually sealcoat a driveway in a single day. However, the actual time can vary.
- Applying a sealcoat over cracks larger than a human hair would be a waste of product. The liquid sealcoating would simply flow into the breaks and be lost, serving no useful function. Therefore, we need to repair all significant cracks. If there are numerous repairs needed, the job could take longer.
- The number of coats must also be considered. Sealcoating should only be applied in thin coats, and each must dry sufficiently before proceeding.
- The weather conditions on the day we perform your sealcoating can affect how quickly the sealant dries. Drying times are expedited on hot, sunny days with low humidity levels and a light breeze. Intermittent clouds, temperatures below 70 degrees Fahrenheit, high humidity levels, and a lack of air movement can all extend drying times.
- The amount of handwork required can also affect the time needed to complete the application. It is important to keep sealcoating confined to the pavement, so it may be necessary to apply it by hand around landscaped areas, structures, or other sensitive locations.
- If the pavement is heavily caked with mud, requires a primer, or has vegetation encroaching along its edges, the job may take longer. The surface must be properly prepared so that nothing interferes with the bonding process.
Affordable Striping & Sealing is a well-respected Reno company specializing in asphalt pavements. In addition to residential sealcoating, we also offer asphalt crack repairs, commercial asphalt sealcoating, parking lot maintenance, parking lot layout, and parking lot striping. We have the experience, tools, and staffing to handle jobs of all sizes. We are known for our craftsmanship, dependability, customer service, and professionalism. We even make it easy for you to request a free quote. Simply complete our online request form, call our office at 775-825-1101, or send an email to RenoOffice@affordablestriping.com.