Anyone who has taken even a short drive around Reno has likely noticed the abundance of asphalt pavements in the city. Asphalt has a luxurious dark color when new, and it does not take much time for contractors to build an asphalt parking lot or street. Asphalt paving is also remarkably affordable, and routine maintenance and repair procedures are also economical. However, some people wonder whether asphalt sealcoating applications are truly cost-effective maintenance procedures. As with most types of preventive maintenance, you need to consider the pros and cons of sealcoating your asphalt pavement in Reno.
What Are the Pros of Asphalt Sealcoating?
Whether the weather in a particular area is mild or harsh, the application of an asphalt sealcoat can provide several important benefits. However, asphalt sealcoating Reno pavements can be especially logical.
1. Reno asphalt sealcoating can make pavements more visually appealing. Tourism, outdoor recreation, and various festivals and events contribute to the city’s economic base. Aesthetics play a role in attracting people to resorts, casinos, and other locations. Asphalt sealcoat products help you maintain the rich color of your pavement, and they also help make the surface appear more unblemished.
2. A Reno sealcoating company can help you save a great deal of money over the life of your pavement. Sealcoating products excel at blocking the UV rays that can make your pavement brittle and more susceptible to breakage. Routine applications of asphalt paving lot sealcoating can often more than double the useful life of a parking lot.
3. Asphalt paving lot sealcoating can improve traction for both vehicles and pedestrians. In turn, the enhanced traction can help prevent accidents that might leave you financially exposed. It can also help ensure that your parking lot complies with the ADA regulations related to surfaces in accessible spaces.
4. The fluids that vehicles leak onto your pavement can deteriorate your asphalt. Oil, diesel, gasoline, and other automotive fluids are petrochemicals that react in a destructive manner when they encounter asphalt. Reno sealcoating extends the time you have to remove leaked automotive fluids before they can damage your asphalt.
What Are the Cons of Sealcoating?
Although sealcoating is an exceptionally effective way to protect asphalt pavements for very little money, experienced Reno sealcoating companies know that some customers find the procedure problematic.
1. Reno sealcoating does not last forever. The average for asphalt paving lot sealcoating is around two years, but some parking lots may only need an application every three or four years. Although the procedure is relatively inexpensive, the need to repeat the treatment periodically brings up the next potential issue.
2. You will need to close your pavement during the application and for up to two days after your Reno sealcoating company finishes your job. The minimum closure is typically around 12 hours. For some businesses, the inconvenience and disruption create a bias against asphalt sealcoating. However, what many people do not realize is that Reno sealcoating companies know a variety of ways to minimize any disruption or inconvenience to your operation.
3. Every time you apply asphalt paving lot sealcoating, you will also need to repaint your markings and lines. Asphalt sealcoat is opaque, so it will cover your existing paint.
4. If you construct a new pavement or install an overlay, you cannot apply an asphalt sealcoat immediately. Instead, you will need to wait until the asphalt paving exhausts its excess oil. In Reno, this process normally takes between two and four months. However, depending on the weather, it could take longer.
If you have additional questions about sealcoating in Reno, contact Affordable Striping & Sealing. In addition to asphalt sealcoating, we provide many other services, including parking lot striping, asphalt crack repair, residential sealcoating, parking lot layout, and parking lot maintenance plans. We are an experienced, reputable company known for exceptional service and exemplary results. Contact us for a free quote by completing our online form, calling 775-825-1101, or emailing RenoOffice@AffordableStriping.com.